Tourism Port Douglas Daintree - ecoBiz case study
Find out how our ecoBiz Star Partner Tourism Port Douglas Daintree reduced their office's energy use.
The free ecoBiz program has assessed the waste, water and energy practices in hundreds of businesses in Queensland and developed case studies to help businesses improve their operations and save money through sustainability.
In 2019, Port Douglas Daintree became the world’s first ECO Certified Destination. Tourism Port Douglas Daintree office does not stop at promoting best practices, they also commit to walking the talk. Since 2020, they have been recognised as an ecoBiz Star Partner after reducing their energy intensity by 28%.
“ecoBiz helped us assess our energy and waste with great tips on reduction techniques. The process has saved us money and helped us be more sustainable in our day to day operation. I highly recommend ecoBiz to every business.” Tara Bennet, CEO
Key initiatives to reduce energy use
- They switched to laptops as they consume less energy than desktop computers.
- They established firm equipment shutdown procedures to ensure staff do not forget to turn off equipment when they leave the office.
- They set the office air conditioning at 24/25 degrees and always turn it off overnight and during weekends.
- In winter, natural ventilation is used rather than air conditioning.
- Their printer has an eco-mode to save energy when it is not in use.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN SAVING MONEY THROUGH SUSTAINABILITY?
The ecoBiz Guide to reducing energy, water and waste for office spaces provides industry-specific insights and resources, including our regional experts' most common recommendations to offices to help them reduce their costs.
ecoBiz is a free program funded by the Queensland Government and run by the Chamber of Commerce & Industry Queensland (CCIQ) that helps Queensland businesses audit their resource use and reduce costs from waste, water, and energy bills. After a free two-hour coaching session with a sustainability expert, businesses receive a written report with practical and tangible solutions, which are often no or low cost to implement.