Driftwood Café - ecoBiz case study
Find out how our ecoBiz Star Partner Driftwood Café in Cooktown reduced their waste.
The free ecoBiz program has assessed the waste, water and energy practices in hundreds of businesses in Queensland and developed case studies to help businesses improve their operations and save money through sustainability.
Driftwood Café is a great spot to stop while in Cooktown. Overlooking the Endeavour River, they offer one of the best views in town. Customers can choose between an outdoor seating area, balcony seating or an indoor area to enjoy their drinks and meals.
In 2019, it was estimated that the café reused or recycled more than 90% of its waste.
"After our ecoBiz coaching session, we made some adjustments and have since reduced our power bill.” Kris Davidson, Owner/Manager
KEY INITIATIVES TO REDUCE WASTE
- They compost organic food scraps and coffee grounds.
- They encourage customers to bring their reusable food containers and give a discount to those bringing takeaway cup.
- They sell eco-friendly and reusable products, including Huskeecoffee cups made from coffee husk, closing the loop on coffee waste.
- Removing their deep fryer has allowed them to reduce their amount of grease trap and halved their bills to pump it out.
- They buy coffee beans in bulk.
- Instead of using single-use paper napkins, they upcycled old linens and sawn their own napkins or use napkins bought from the op shop.
- They serve juices and smoothies in recycled glass jars.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN SAVING MONEY THROUGH SUSTAINABILITY?
The ecoBiz Guide to reducing energy, water and waste for restaurants, cafes and bars provides industry-specific insights and resources, including our regional experts' most common recommendations to restaurants, cafes and bars to help them reduce their costs.
ecoBiz is a free program funded by the Queensland Government and run by the Chamber of Commerce & Industry Queensland (CCIQ) that helps Queensland businesses audit their resource use and reduce costs from waste, water, and energy bills. After a free two-hour coaching session with a sustainability expert, businesses receive a written report with practical and tangible solutions, which are often no or low cost to implement.