Diabetes Queensland - ecoBiz case study
Find out how ecoBiz Star Partner Diabetes Queensland (a charity in Brisbane) reduced their waste, water and energy use.
The free ecoBiz program has assessed the waste, water and energy practices in hundreds of businesses in Queensland and developed case studies to help businesses improve their operations and save money through sustainability.
Diabetes Queensland is the peak body for Queenslanders living with or at risk of diabetes. They are committed to improving the lives of people living with all types of diabetes and those at risk of developing the condition by providing information care and support. They have over 100 staff working in a three-storey office building in Milton, Brisbane.
Diabetes Queensland joined ecoBiz in 2017, intending to reduce its operating budget. By spending less money on water, waste and energy bills, the charity has more funds to help Queenslanders with diabetes. Since 2017, they have reduced their energy intensity by 46% and their water intensity by 39%.
“ecoBiz has helped us to monitor and quantify the gains made through the organisations sustainability drive.” Andre Caspersz, Facilities Manager / WHS Office
KEY INITIATIVES TO REDUCE energy use
Diabetes Queensland has reduced its energy consumption and costs despite increasing its activity. The charity applied for grants to fund many of the key improvements needed to reduce their energy use.
- They installed a 27kW solar system with 96 solar panels on their roof.
- They invested in energy-efficient lighting. Lights are automatically turned off when not used in the meeting rooms (sensors) and in the car park (timer).
- They have replaced a majority of their old air conditioning units with energy-efficient models. Units are serviced monthly, and ducts are regularly checked for air leaks.
- Temperature is set at 24°C, and sensors have been repositioned to improve efficiency.
KEY INITIATIVES TO REDUCE water USE
- They installed dual flush toilets and a water-efficient shower rose.
Dishwashers are only operated when full.
KEY INITIATIVES TO REDUCE WAste
Six volunteers are part of Diabetes Queensland’s Sustainability Team and strongly focus on reducing office waste.
- Suppliers are asked to take back and reuse wooden pallets.
- To improve waste separation, they replaced under desk bins with two waste recycling stations on each floor with signage to help staff use the right bin. In addition, they introduced commingled recycling and separate cardboard and paper, e-waste (recycled through Buyequip), ink cartridge and mobile phones (recycled through Planet Ark).
- Staff need a code to print and are encouraged to double-side print.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN SAVING MONEY THROUGH SUSTAINABILITY?
The ecoBiz Guide to reducing energy, water and waste for office spaces provides industry-specific insights and resources, including our regional experts' most common recommendations to offices to help them reduce their costs.
ecoBiz is a free program funded by the Queensland Government and run by the Chamber of Commerce & Industry Queensland (CCIQ) that helps Queensland businesses audit their resource use and reduce costs from waste, water, and energy bills. After a free two-hour coaching session with a sustainability expert, businesses receive a written report with practical and tangible solutions, which are often no or low cost to implement.