Daintree Ecolodge - ecoBiz case study
Find out how our ecoBiz Star Partner Daintree Ecolodge (an accommodation provider in the Daintree Rainforest) reduced their waste, energy and water use.
The free ecoBiz program has assessed the waste, water and energy practices in hundreds of businesses in Queensland and developed case studies to help businesses improve their operations and save money through sustainability.
Daintree Ecolodge offers sustainable luxury accommodation in the World-Heritage listed Daintree Rainforest. The tropical rainforest retreat manages 15 eco-friendly treehouses, a bar, a restaurant and dining area, a swimming pool and a spa.
Daintree Ecolodge is proud to be an ecoBiz partner because we are aligned in the Ethos of protecting our planet and reducing our carbon footprint ethically and cohesively within our natural environment. ecoBiz continue to provide support and resources to ensure we are up to date with best practices and knowledge." Rena Scott, General Manager
Key initiatives to reduce energy use
- The lodge is partially powered by solar panels.
- Energy use from lighting is reduced as LED lighting has been retrofitted and garden lights use motion sensors.
- There is no need for air conditioning in the reception and restaurant areas as natural ventilation has been optimised to keep these areas cool. To reduce air conditioning in guest rooms, they set it up at 25°and have installed fans for guests to use.
- Energy-efficient refrigeration units have replaced the cold room.
- Gas hot water systems have replaced electric hot water systems.
Key initiatives to reduce water use
- Tanks on the roof of the spa allow the lodge to collect and reuse rainwater.
- The retreat has reduced water use in the bathrooms by installing dual-flush toilets and low-flow showerheads and taps.
- They reuse wastewater for irrigation thanks to their BioCyclewastewater treatment system.
Key initiatives to reduce waste
- There is no single-use plastic in guest rooms or single guest use items e.g. bars of soap have been replaced by a liquid soap dispenser.
- All food scraps are composted.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN SAVING MONEY THROUGH SUSTAINABILITY?
The ecoBiz Guide to reducing energy, water and waste for accommodation providers provides industry-specific insights and resources, including our regional experts' most common recommendations to accommodation providers to help them reduce their costs.
ecoBiz is a free program funded by the Queensland Government and run by the Chamber of Commerce & Industry Queensland (CCIQ) that helps Queensland businesses audit their resource use and reduce costs from waste, water, and energy bills. After a free two-hour coaching session with a sustainability expert, businesses receive a written report with practical and tangible solutions, which are often no or low cost to implement.